Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap day, leap dog

Ok, I admit I don't really know what day Sky was born on. She's a third-hand dog. Someone dropped her off at the Humane Society (her first name was Sadie) as a puppy, saying she couldn't be housetrained. I got her from the woman down the street who'd adopted her (and renamed her Hazel) and found her exuberant nature a little tough to deal with.

The vet figured she was about six months old when I got her right around Labor Day in 2000. Her feet were still too big for her and she hadn't been spayed yet. She didn't drink out of a bowl very neatly, either. She was afraid of men, specifically men wearing baseball caps. Now, she doesn't mind them, because the boys (they were 11 and 8) she grew up with are now tall men with deep voices.

The first time I took her to the dog park she ran up and down the fenceline for a solid hour. And she's always so happy and jumpy. What other birthday could she have? I should have started running sooner, Sky would have appreciated it, although being a dog, she's as happy as anything with the past 3 years of us running together.

The ice situation has not improved much, so she has to wait a little until we go out again. But wait she will, with just this cute expression on her face, although now she has grey fur around her eyes and her eyelashes are white.

2 comments:

Sparky said...

I love your dog.
:)
Happy belated birthday to your leap dog.

JEN

Anonymous said...

i love her too.
that is exactly one of the reasons hank was returned..."would go in the house and was 'bad'"
bullshit.
i am very happy she has you folks.