I painted the front porch this weekend. little boy had painted the whole thing three years ago when we moved in, but it was already sad and peeling and needed to be repainted. It doesn't help that the gutters are less than efficient and dump water right down on the steps. With the washing, scraping and painting, that was a lot of work! Whatever I paid the boy back in the day, it wasn't enough.
Square foot garden is the other project. I can't seem to space plants correctly. The previous two summers here, I just put things in, spacing them more or less like the seed directions said. Looking at other gardens, other people get more veggies into a much smaller space. I read Kerstin's book about square foot gardening and there is my attempt. I've got 4 tomato plants, 2 eggplants, 2 peppers, kale, beans, rosemary, oregano, sage, lemon thyme, onions and basil in that 4 foot square box. The metal framework on the end is electrical conduit and trellis netting for the tomatoes. We will see whether that works better than the tomato cages I've been using.


1 comment:
I'm so jealous that you can grow all of that. I'd love to grow veggies and herbs, but our yard is mostly shaded. Not enough sun for a vegetable garden. Boo!
The porch looks great!
Post a Comment