OK, so I promised Big Boy that if he did all 4 years of Russian and didn't commit any felonies and generally managed to fulfill all the graduation requirements, I'd take him to Russia. Four years isn't a very long time, I've come to find out. So, we're going. June 7 through June 27.
Now, this is a big deal. I haven't been out of the country this long since 1974. And I was a kid then and didn't have to plan or pack (or pay!). After comparing flight prices for two months, I just today spent a little over $2,000.00 buying tickets. This sounds hideous, until you consider that the alternative would have been something on the order of $2,980.00. That "extra" almost grand will go far. At least, it should.
Hotels in Moscow are very, very amusing. They're huge. Some are Soviet-era. None of them are Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn (which is fine, cuz we're not looking for that) or even less than $150 a night. For a single. So, in light of the fact that neither Big Boy nor I are trust-fund babies, we're going the hostel route. They're more like $50 a night, which is reasonable, but we're going to be paying for lodging for TWENTY nights. I'll let you do some multiplication and you'll see why my hair just got greyer. I guess that's where that "extra" thousand dollars is going. Sheesh, that's more than the morgage payment.
Plus, we still have to do things like, oh eat. And pay entrance fees to museums, etc. And bring back trinkets for the loved ones we're leaving behind. And I still don't have my running routes planned real well yet.
I'm really excited. I have Big Boy on assignment figuring out what sort of day-trip like things we can do for our stop overs in Zurich and Dublin. We have a longish layover in Atlanta, too. What's in Atlanta?
No comments:
Post a Comment