Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Softball

Ok, I've been playing ball on a team of some sort or another for, well. How long has it been? Big Boy was not quite 1. That would make it 1990 when I started. That seems like a long time. So why am I still so bad at it?

I'd like to chalk it up to my general overall nature as a slacker, but it has to be more than that. Lack of hand-eye coordination? Poor eyesight in general? Big Boy was a spectator/1st base coach for last night's game. He says that I don't watch the ball (I do! I swear I do!) and I don't swing all the way through the ball (he might have something on that one). I also tend to watch where I've hit the ball instead of just hitting the stupid thing and running. I'd have outrun the throw to 1st on my last at bat had I done that. But no, I like to watch. Let's not even discuss my errors in the field.

There were two grand slams by two of my talented teammates - so much fun to watch. We won it 13-5 and the ump called the game at the end of the 5th due to darkness.

8 mile tempo run today at 8:30. Stupid Garmin or stupid satellites decided not to register the first 6/10 of a mile. I've done this particular workout a few times now (1 mi warm up & 1 mi cool down with 6 miles at pace in the middle) and I'm always surprised that I can keep the pace up that long. Next week's speedwork looks intimidating, too. 3 miles at 7:48 with half mile jogs in between and warm up & cool down for a total of 8 miles. I think I'll have to tweak that one a bit.

Big Boy is working on figuring out the college thing. UWM has accepted him and he's decided not to take a gap year, so it's on to Milwaukee. He said that his plan is to get good grades and try to transfer to UW-Madison. There's a plan now, at any rate. He's got to get scheduled for placement exams, which according to their website, only occur during May and once in June (on the day after his graduation). They must have other times available. I can't imagine someone coming in from out of town during their last semester of high school to take these things.

little boy turned 15 on Monday. He starts his job today. He's not nervous about the work, just that he won't have enough time to get his homework done. He's also a little upset about having to miss the extravaganza at Nigel's this weekend because he has to work Saturday.

No comments: