Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How are the children?

Madison Marathon 2008
Quarter Marathon Results

little boy

bib number: 7516
age: 16
gender: M
location: Saint Paul, MN
overall place: 5 out of 801
division place: 1 out of 26
gender place: 5 out of 308
time: 42:00
pace: 6:25
10k: 38:19
chip time: 42:00

He said that he wanted to start with the front runners, so he did. He kept up with them for the first two miles (5:25 and 5:30, I think), then remembered that he was supposed to take it easy, so he decided "to breathe through my nose and run easy so that's what I did for the rest of it." Sheesh. Next couple of miles were around 6:30 and the last he kicked in at a 7:00 mpm pace. Check out that sub-40 10k time. The four guys who beat him? In the 25-29 age bracket. They thought he was a senior. He got a plaque for being first in his age group, which is now above his bulletin board.

Since I can't do much but haiku lately, the reason being that until this week I've never been able to, here's one for little boy.

Quarter marathon
In 42 minutes flat.
little boy kicks ass.

In other little boy news, he ran the 2 mile at sections yesterday. Although he didn't qualify for state, he ran a PR of 10:25.

Big Boy came along to Madison for the ride and stayed for the running and the festivities. He started off the quarter marathon with his brother and ran a PR 5k of something like 19 minutes. But then, the lack of training and a surfeit of biking ripped the wheels off. He finished just over the hour mark, but still in the top 2/3 of all the men.

No more haiku after this, I promise.

My young chaperon,
Not my brother, but my son.
Please don't buy him beer.

2 comments:

sauconRunner said...

Wow your boys are speedy! Tell them your imaginary friend said congrats!

Antoinette said...

5th overall while taking it easy for the last few miles; I wanna be him when I grow up!