Monday, December 7, 2009

Curiosity killed the cat

Disclaimer: I am not a stalker. I have actually been stalked and it was terrifying and gave me nightmares and new, completely legitimate neuroses that only a lot of time and talk managed to alleviate.

I am, however, very good at finding just about anything I want to know from the innernets. Very, very good. I have wide-ranging, divergent interests, a restless brain that is not sufficiently challenged and a somewhat unhealthy level of curiosity. Whether it's about the law or that something that someone saw one time and wonders if it still exists or random information about random people, I can almost always find it. Something I heard... A passing whim... "Oh, I wonder if I could find out X?" Although finding things is easy for me, it's still a challenge that's enticing. One little bit of information leads to another, and that leads to yet another, and soon I know way more than I should. And when it's about people, Facebook has made it entirely too easy to indulge these whims. Between FB and Google, yikes. It can easily lead to information overload and a brain swirling with things I'm better off not knowing.

If I had more willpower when it comes to information... like I do for say, chocolate... I wouldn't get myself into trouble. I don't mean any harm (and when I can keep my mouth shut, any harm only comes to me). Cuz there are some things, curiosity or not, that are better left alone and unknown. FB has a nice blocking feature. I'm going to employ it. As for teh Google, well, I'm going to have to curb my gluttony (oy, in every respect) and practice some deep breathing and temperance.

No comments: