I started out, as many do, with scarves. I found out that I don't much like purling, so that left either a garter stitch scarf (bleah) or an excruciating stockinette, with every other row an entire row of purl! I decided to learn how to make cables. I made this scarf, one for my mom and another for my buddy M. The back and forth of scarves wore on me a little bit, so I learned to knit in the round on a circular needle and started on hats. Then I got bored with hats and decided socks were just the thing. I made a dozen or so pairs of socks after I discovered wooden needles. Gma always knit with shiny aluminum needles. I find them to be cold and hard; they don't have much "give" at all. I found myself wondering if Gma knew about wooden needles (she undoubtedly did, I guess aluminum needles would have been kind of space age, plus they don't break) and would they have made it easier for her to knit (she had arthritis in her hands).
I'm still not bored with socks, but I wanted to take on another project, so I knit a sweater for little boy. I was intimidated by most sweater patterns, but I found one that lets you knit the darn thing on circular needles and you don't have to make any seams. Although I had to remake the sleeve cuffs twice (not quite long enough for those arms of his), it looks great on him. I have a nearly-complete sweater for Big Boy (almost done with the first sleeve, then it got warm out). I guess I'm not as intimidated by sweaters any more since I rewrote the pattern to an in-between size for Big Boy. Then I scoured cable pattern books until I found a cable pattern that was pretty close to what I wanted and then rewrote that a little and finally added the whole cable panel to the front of the sweater design.
Finally, five years after I started, I hit on Gma's favorite project: mittens. How did I think that mittens would be harder than socks? These little suckers took me less than two hours and I haven't knit since last winter:
Granted, they are sized for a two-year-old, but I think I have the concept down. A few more little pairs are on my list, but then I think I'm next in line. I often feel like I'm not even using my own brain when I knit, it seems like I'm borrowing my grandma's. Ok, that sounds weird, but I get the same feeling when I'm doing plumbing projects (I'm channeling my grandpa at those times!).
3 comments:
They are so adorable! Oh to not have to use my brain when I knit. I'm still exhausted from you trying to teach me a year ago, and my hands are still cramped up. My poor Swedish host mother who was so horrified by my lack of knitting skills just gave up and laughed. Maybe, just maybe, this is the thing for me in attempt in 2010 to satisfy my creative outlet. My sister got all the good knitting genes.
oh my god, i LOVE you! a knitter?
cool people make stuff. really.
ps. my word verification word is NESACK. what's up with that?
i am still trying.... i want so badly to knit.. i keep trying internet directions. maybe this winter...
Post a Comment