Ok, he's really not that little anymore (6'1" 135#), but he'll always be my baby.
little boy is 16 today. He got some good stuff for camp, his requested bday dinner of gourmet cheeses, crackers & granny smith apples, and a cookies & cream ice cream cake. We also went to the passport office and applied for his adult passport, which they promised (ha) would arrive within 4 weeks, which is plenty of time before he heads out for his Canadian canoe adventure this summer.
It's a good thing that I didn't try to get his passport before he turned 16. This isn't on the website (at least it wasn't when I filled out the online form last week), but they apparently changed the law again regarding parental consent for passports. Now, anyone under 16 (that is, anyone applying for a child's passport, as you get an adult 10 year passport when you're 16) must have both parents consent when applying for a child's passport. Previously, if a child was 14 or over, only one parent needed to be present to sign the form and consent. Now, I think that this will inconvenience the majority of parents trying to get passports for their kids. About the only people I know who are still married to their original spouse don't have any kids yet. Even the ones with kids, how convenient is it to have both parents take the day off to sit in the passport office with the kid? And we all know how divorced parents get. Even without that natural acrimony, my sons' father lives 350 miles away. Exactly how would I have been able to coerce him into driving all this way so that little boy could get a passport? (Ok, there probably is some mail in option for this, but my priorities aren't exactly my ex-husband's priorities, you know what I mean?) Yeah, yeah, I know, international kidnapping, it's all the rage. But really, once the kid is 14, is that really going to happen?
1 comment:
Ha! Good luck with 4 weeks, more like 6.
Post a Comment