Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I wonder if this counts as a double?

So, yesterday was a crabby day, the second Monday of the week, as far as I'm concerned. I overslept, and getting up at 6:45am does not allow for running 10 miles before work. Grrr.

little boy had orchestra rehearsal last night, and I was going to be by the Minneapolis lakes anyway, so I thought I'd try for 10 while he was doing his thing. I had 2 1/2 hours and that was plenty of time. The only whiny things I have to say about that are (1) I don't run well in the evening and (2) thunderstorms were forecast.

We got to rehearsal on time and I headed for Lake Harriet. It was sprinkling as I started off. About half an hour into the run, perhaps a third of the way around the lake, it started to downpour. No thunder, no lightning, but it was raining so hard that it was a little difficult to see. I'd already made up my mind that things were going to be wet and the rain wasn't cold and it was about 70 degrees outside, so other than feeling like I was running in the shower, it really wasn't bad. The deluge abated somewhat for awhile, then it just rained, then it poured again, then drizzle, then deluge (and some lightning, but not much), and just about as I was done, the precipitation pretty much stopped. I ran 10 miles in 1:37 or so, for a pace of around 9:40. I went into the park building and changed into sweats and had fun wringing the water out of my socks, shorts & shirt. I had dry socks and dried my feet with the hand dryer (more fun!) but my shoes were a soggy mess.

Then I tried to go to Trader Joe's, but it had just closed by the time I got there. So, on to Whole Foods to get some fruit and snacks. I got back to pick up little boy at 9:34, and I saw him walking back across the street towards the building where rehearsal is held (it ends at 9:30). I'd told him to meet me in the parking lot of the park across the street, but I wasn't there. He looked really crabby when I honked at him. He got in the car and told me he was scared cuz he thought something had happened to me, that someone got me while I was running. Poor little boy! I apologized for being late and he seemed to be somewhat mollified by the Brown Cow cream top cherry vanilla yogurt I'd gotten him.

So, home again. Sleep. Up at 5:30am (I set two alarms this morning!). Out for 9, including 6 miles at tempo pace. Poochie came along for the run and she was quite pleased about it. Here are the splits:

1-9:05
2-8:05
3-8:34
4-8:20
5-8:30
6-8:09
7-8:54
8-9:25
9-9:28

Target tempo pace was 8:20, I managed 8:25. Overall pace was 8:44. Not bad for having run 10 miles less than twelve hours previously. Does it count as a double if you sleep for seven hours between runs?

2 comments:

Craver said...

Holy Hannah.
YES it counts.

I got stuck in a big rain once while running 10 miles too.... maybe it's like a hazing or something.

I did not run as fast as you oh speedy one.

And, could you bring some of that there yogurt. Please?

Anonymous said...

you have nice boys. they must have good mama training.
and yer a helluva runner, sage.