Friday, April 11, 2008

Do you want to restart your computer now?

I've been getting this helpful Microsoft pop-up all freaking day.

Automatic Updates

Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect.

Do you want to restart your computer now?

Restart Now Restart Later

It pops up multiple times an hour, and NO I do NOT want to restart my computer now. I'm working. Leave me alone. The computers here at the State are all robotically controlled and get all sorts of weird updates all the time. They generally serve to slow down processing and response time dramatically. And people, I'm a lawyer, I'm word processing and using Lexis. This ain't graphics intensive stuff. There's nearly zero demand on the machine from the user end. The slowness & sluggishness is all a result of Big Brother helpfully updating things for you. And the updates always make things worse.

So I'm making quesadillas tonight. I stole part of the recipe from this blog and another part of the recipe from here. The rest of it I made up myself.

1 can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 c frozen corn, toasted in a pan or broiled a bit in the oven
(mix these guys together, mashing the pintos a bit)
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1 t olive oil
(brown the onion in a frying pan over med low heat for a long time until carmelized)
1 can diced green chiles (or, you could roast a couple poblano peppers and slice them)
(mix the onion and the chiles)
Jalapeño slices
8" flour tortillas
Shredded cheese of your choice (I've used goat cheese and cheddar, both are good in different ways)
More olive oil
Salt

Spread half a cup or so of the bean/corn mixture onto one half of a tortilla. Add some of the onion/chile mixture. Throw in some jalapeño slices. Top with cheese (or, if you're using a spreadable cheese, spread it on the other half of the tortilla). Fold tortilla in half. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place, oiled & salted side down in a frying pan over med heat. Cook for a couple of minutes, until nicely browned. Brush top side with oil and sprinkle with salt, then flip to brown that side. Cut in two, serve with salsa. I made foodblogga's awesome Habañero Salsa.

Oh, and I managed all my little runs this week, despite the inch of sloppy thick rain we got. I ran inside.

1 comment:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Cool. I'm so glad you like the habanero salsa. It's got serious kick, doesn't it? Thanks for the link!