little boy and I met with his counselor, an assistant principal and the principal herself this morning. The way the principal was talking, it sounds as though she generally agrees with my analysis that this is a case of inadequate sourcing. little boy is going to rewrite the paper and we're crossing our fingers that Mr. EnglishTeacher will deign to regrade it. It seemed as though everyone in the room was on the same page about that, so if he resists this option, I think there will be pressure from higher up. The principal seemed especially concerned that little boy had an A before the paper, but ends up with a C- for the term. There was also some concern expressed that Mr. EnglishTeacher had admitted that he hadn't read the entire paper and that there was no grade listed for the final that the class took.
I downloaded and printed out how to source a paper using MLA format (it's really very quaint and I think it would get laughed out of a judge's chambers, but whatever). little boy is at work rewriting and is using different topic questions to outline the thing. I also made him write an outline and took away the copy of his original paper.
Kerstin & I met this morning for a humid, sweaty 5 miler. Well, we almost didn't because my alarm didn't go off (it would help if I would set it, I think). SO's alarm went off at 5:45 and I leaped out of bed, grabbed my running stuff, hunted in vain for the keys to open the door (Kerstin drove up as I was looking) and changed in the dining room. Neither one of us was very talkative, it being dark and misty and us being sleepy, but we accomplished our task. Since I was supposed to run 6 today, I tacked an extra mile onto Saturday's run, which is now looking kind of long (15 miles). But I get tomorrow off from running, so it will all be ok.
Hope for clear weather tomorrow so I can ride my bike to work!
2 comments:
Well, we've got sun up north right now and rumor has it the mornings are supposed to be sunny through Monday. . . I'll send what I can your way!
clearly....they consulted with me on little boy's paper.
:D
there should be a red flag when a kid who typically does everything they should pulls a C. Unless he just quit turning things in...and those kids I always say 'get it to me by X' if they still don't then...well, they're toast. :D
Post a Comment