Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another day another tempo run

I was glad that it was relatively cool out this morning. SO had to be in New Market by 5:30, so she left way early. I hauled my carcass out of bed at 5:20 and sort of lurched around for awhile putting on running clothes. Since Sky wasn't real happy with the last 8 mile run we did together, I left her home (I couldn't hear any howling as I left, but it may have started when I was down the block). I'm not neglecting her, she got to run 6 with me yesterday, and had enough energy to play like a goofball with our friend T who came over for supper last night. We had a fire and everything. The bees were out, but mosquitoes didn't really make an appearance.

Today's assignment: warm up for a mile, then run 6 miles at an 8:25 pace, then cool down a mile. Here's how it went:

1 - 10:54
2 - 8:03
3 - 8:08
4 - 7:57
5 - 8:38
6 - 8:12
7 - 8:21
8 - 10:54

I raced that little creep who lives in my Garmin and he claimed that I lost. So I was bummed out on the mile home because I thought that there's no way I'll be able to finish what I've started this year if I can't even do a simple tempo run, one that I could do last year (well, I am hauling around about 15 pounds more than I was at this time last year, but still). Um. I think not. I think he got lost along the way and wanted me to participate in his "I lost the satellite" off-course wanderings. Average tempo pace - 8:13. Overall average pace - 8:53.

Then, day 2 of the 100 pushup challenge, which went just fine. Bobcat was confused about the whole thing and meowed at me, thinking perhaps that filling his food bowl would prevent me from continuing on this quest.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You beat that little bastard. No question.

If your avg tempo pace was supposed to be 8:25 and it was 8:13, you actually did more than beat him, you pounded his ass.

Do you have the garmin programed to include your warm up miles or something? Because that would throw it off and make it look like you lost. How are you programing the garmin for runs like this?

Nice run!

sage said...

I programmed the thing for 6 miles, 8:25 pace and then hit mode to get out of there. I pushed start and ran a mile (though by now I know how far a mile is on this route) and pushed stop. Then mode to get to virtual partner and hit start. Ran my legs off...then hit start again and ran the mile home.

Sporttracks compares the satellite data points to the actual image or map, so it smooths out those places that Garmin conveniently forgets (such as the first half mile or so I ran today when it said weak GPS signal or when it tells me I ran over water).

I've been going with what ST has been telling me this whole time, so I suppose if Garmin is right and ST is wrong, then I ran 6 at an 8:27 pace. But I don't think so.

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I program mine based on time and pace (my tempo workouts are time based - 40 or 60 minutes). My warm up and cool down are also time based (and LHR), so I don't hit start, I just run for appropriate number of minutes. Then I hit start when I'm ready for the tempo and I keep up with the little VRP dude. I have it set to automatic lap, so it tracks data on miles automatically, which makes my pace for each mile seem more consistent than yours (because it sounds like you are looking at mileage on ST?)

Confusing.

Anyway - it works well for me because my tempos aren't geared towards mileage, but time instead.

Looks like we have same T paces pretty much though. Mine range from 8:00 - 8:26 depending on length of run. (Though next week I'm changing T paces to 7:48 - 8:15)

Ok. I'll quit rambling.