Sunday, September 21, 2008

Oops

Does anyone remember awhile back when I accidentally ran 9 miles? You know, forgot to turn around at the right place and ended up running longer than I'd intended? Oops, I did it again. So, I got in 60 miles for the week (well, if you count the extra little bits here and there, Garmin says I actually ran 61.45 miles this week). And today's pace was well under 10:00 mpm. My right quad is a little bit sore, but my feets feel good and so does everything else. I also did Week 5 Day 3 of the 100 push up challenge again and a whole bunch of sit ups. I think I'm done for the day. Lots of sitting around is planned and perhaps a nap.

I feel good about this week and not nearly as apprehensive as I was a year ago at this time (walked into a desk and whacked my knee all to hell which led to my skipping the last 20 miler I had on the schedule). I got my head around 18 miles last year, but the two 20 milers I did really kicked my butt. Also, in the marathon, just past 20 miles is when my hips freaked out and locked up, leading to 6 miles of OUCH. That's mostly the reason I chose to run a 20 miler and two 22 milers this time around. It seems like I've had more long runs for this training cycle.

June: two 18 milers (last year: RUSSIA!)
July: two 18 milers (last year: one 18 miler)
August: a 20 miler, a 22 miler, and two races - 5K & half mary (last year: one 20 miler and two 16 milers)
September: a 22 miler, a 15 miler, and two races - half mary & 10 mile (last year: one 20 miler and one 16 miler)

In the past month, I've had to skip two midweek runs (an 11 and a 9), but it doesn't seem to have hurt the long run, which is what this is all about.

I think I also like taking the day off (or biking) the day before a long run and the longer recovery run the day after the long run. Last year, I ran long on Saturdays and spent the rest of the weekend in a coma. I think the extra miles when my legs are already tired will prove to be good for me. Also, they're practice for the 50K training I've got lined up starting in December (24 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday, anyone? ok, that's not until February).

And how's that for posting meaningless statistics about my running?

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Wow - you are ultra prepared this year! The couple mid-week medium/long runs that you missed shouldn't have an adverse affect on you. You hit your tempos and your long runs. You've done the work. You're all set!

KP said...

Not meaningless at all S!

Just shows what experience does for you. It takes multiple times through marathon training before real progress is made - just look at some of the other 30s who have their best performances in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th year of running the distance.

Like RFTL said you are prepared this time around!

Maria said...

You're an animal!! Looking forward to having your marathon experience as fuel for mine (next day)