It's not even in full swing yet, I suppose. I've read a lot about others who are tapering and feeling lazy and crazy, but now it's my turn. Am I doing it right?
I feel lazy. I ran 8 miles this morning. Venus is crazy-bright. The full moon was bright enough to cast shadows and I didn't really need my headlamp (except for those stupid early morning drivers: umm HELLO! runner here! dog here! don't hit us with your car! you have lights, I know you see us!). My knee felt fine, but I had other phantom pains that came & went along the way. Ow, my shin hurts, why is that? Ow, my other knee hurts, why is that? Ow, my hip feels itchy-funny-weird, why is that? Is my gait off? My foot feels funny. Am I running too slow? Too fast? Sheesh, this is only 8 miles, this is nothing! I'm done already and it's still dark.
I feel crazy. How can I run 26.2 miles on the 13th when it will have been six weeks since I've run 20?? This taper is too long. My legs will forget what to do. I know my legs, and they're not real smart. They do things like make me fall up stairs, slip and fall on ice, and walk full speed into unseen desk corners. They walk me into trouble all the time. They truly are not the brightest appendages on the body.
Taper can't be good for you. If nothing else, it's bad luck. I walked into a desk last week. Co-worker Kerstin tripped over her cat and fell down the stairs this week (her marathon is Oct. 7). My imaginary internet running buddy baggio fell down while running and smashed himself up this week, too (truly insane, cuz baggs runs like a million miles a week! his marathon is also on Oct. 7, but in a different state). I am considering doing a study of taper-related incidents and thereby proving one way or the other that bad luck exists (ok, not).
12 miles tomorrow. Forecast is windy with a thunderstorm. Alrighty then. SO finally returns from the west tonight, only to leave us again Sunday, when she heads to St. Cloud for work. She'll be staying with a buddy of hers who lives up there and coming home on weekends.
2 comments:
um. i think you're right. it is bad luck.
um. drink more beer to off set the effects?
and jenny came up with the magic runners owie word f*ckity f*ck to stop the spread of injury. but i'm not sure how well it works. (see toe)
Count me in to your research - in the last two weeks I've majorly tweaked my left hip/butt/hamstring. This area was without injury all of this year - what the hey?!?!?!
Maria
Post a Comment