Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Latin, lack of skill, from inert-, iners
1 a : a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force b : an analogous property of other physical quantities (as electricity)
2 : indisposition to motion, exertion, or change (From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary.)
It has been so hard to run this week. Not the running itself, which has been going along just fine, but the hauling my carcass out of bed and getting out the door to do the actual running.
I did alright in SoDak, I got up each day at 5am so I could get runs in before the out-law shenanigans started, scare the cows, and watch the sun rise. Six miles on Saturday, 16 miles on Sunday - no mp3 player, no dog, just me & the road.
I foolishly tried a "recovery run" on Monday... some runners swear by them. Not me. I went out for 7 and was hating nearly every minute of it. I managed one loop around the lake and then headed home. I logged 4 miles and then just hurt all day. So, Tuesday was the off day for this week. Yesterday Sky & I ran 7, but I couldn't stomach running around the lake twice so we went on the Gateway Trail and just added an extra mile on to make the total come out to 7. It was so unbelievably humid, I was sweating like 10 or 20 whole women.
Today we ran the same way, and I ran a couple of the miles at a better than 8:00 pace. There was wind, cooler temps, and less humidity. It was almost completely fun after the first half mile. But it was so hard to get up. Once I was up and out the door things were pretty much going to remain in motion, but boy did I want to remain at rest.
Big Boy comes home tonight after having taken his placement tests in Milwaukee. As much as some members of the family are looking forward to his leaving for college, I gotta say, I'm not looking forward to it very much at all. I have a feeling this fall is going to be a bumpy ride.
2 comments:
it really is the humidity that kills you. i think this time of year, running feels like chore. only the kind of chore that takes more time to do than scrubbing the tub. also, i can't breath so well when its humid. there are a few magical times of year when running is great. sister, this ain't one of em.
You are anything but inert, *Sage*.. and hi! I found you.
Keep running, keep writing, and pet that damn cute dog for me.
Justjen
:D
Post a Comment