Thursday, July 5, 2007

Signs

Russian signs, that is. This is a collection of some of the weird and/or interesting signs I felt compelled to photograph. Snarky comments follow, if warranted.

Seriously!
Alright, alright, you got me: this isn't Russian. This was in the Dublin Airport. Maybe the warnings should be on Russian cigarettes, too. Yikes, those people smoke a lot. I swear we saw an 8 year old smoking in the park.

Hockey Federation
Hockey Federation.

Go Vegan!
This was in St. Pete, on one of our long walks when we were too addled to find food. The advice to "go vegan" seemed particularly funny at this point.

7 elephants
Seven Elephants travel agency. (For little boy)

It's everywhere
This guy looks really enthused about McDonald's, doesn't he? If you'll look on the right side of the photo, the ever-present, very expensive, weirdly transliterated Coffee House (Кофе Хаус) is next door.

our address in St. Pete
The address of our homestay in St. Pete.

Rimsky-Korsakov
Yes, I know Russian looks weird to all of you, but this is a stylized font and was hard for us to read, too. It's the inscription on Rimsky-Korsakov's tomb. No wonder it was hard to find!

This guy's name was "Cat"
Blah, blah, blah. Some hero of the Crimean War lived here in the 1800s. But his name is Peter Markovich Cat! (Кошка!)

Meat
A door marked "meat" on the way back to the homestay from the internet cafe. This was taken around midnight without flash or streetlights. (For SO)

Fish do what?
Again in St. Pete. Fish do what, exactly?

Is that like safety dance?
Is that like safety dance?

Nice
Ok, it's a Mercedes. But a minivan? Ugh.

Dinamo v. Rostov
Dinamo (home team) v. Rostov (they lost!)

Churchly? really?
Ok, we are here. That is helpful. But what the heck is a Churchly-Archaeological Museum?? The Alexander Nevsky Monastery (Lavra) is also marked on this map.

random grafitti
This was under a bridge that was being constructed in Moscow. Cosmonaut, crazy construction-mouse cartoon. Nice juxtaposition. I don't think I get it.

(I know for some of you scintillating vacation photography is not enough. You cling to every detail of my midwestern big city life. This is for you.) Yesterday I transplanted tomato plants from the large pot on the patio to the strip along the garage, did some weeding in the back garden, and made pancakes. Pooch & I ran 6 miles. It was hot. The rest of the day was devoted to avoiding responsibility and making amaretto sours (thanks Moe!). The fireworks scared the dog and our neighbor made a quarter-sized burn mark on his brand new Jetta when some sort of Roman candle fell over and began shooting up the neighborhood.

SO & I are headed to the k.d. lang/Lyle Lovett concert tonight. No running today. 7 is on the schedule for tomorrow and 14 for Saturday, which our local weather prognosticators promise will top 100 degrees. It's also Kerstin's housewarming party. I think it will be warm enough.

No comments: